Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Bookends to the day...

7 AM: I was caught by our 4-year-old boy during a very awkward moment in the bathroom. I tried to brush it off and make him leave, but he was having none of it.
"Why are you bleeding, mom?" His eyes narrowed. "You need to tell me. I'm your son."
Gulp.
"There's blood in a special place inside mommy's belly, where babies grow. That blood turns into a house if God puts a baby in my belly. If He doesn't, the blood comes out."
He got excited for a moment.
"Are we having another baby?"
"No. That's why the blood is coming out."
He thinks carefully for a long moment. Then, "Oh. That makes sense. Bye, mom."
The door closes. Almost all the way. Then his little head pops back in.
"Do you need me to get you a band-aid?"

7pm: Apparently we've done a really good job teaching our six-year-old daughter and four-year-old son about sharing. Too good.
You aren't supposed to share in Monopoly!
Dad was putting the baby to bed and I was playing Princess Monopoly with the big kids. "Just a quick game, and then it's bedtime."
She landed on his castle. She paid him. He paid her.
He landed on her castle. He paid her. She paid him.
I was almost out of money. He gave me some of his.
Quite the rock and hard place....can't tell them not to share, can't break the promise of "just one game" if that game isn't over...

3 comments:

TxGambit said...

7am: Love it! I keep waiting for L to walk in during that fun time of the month!

7pm: I share during games too. :)


I'm soooo glad you started a blog. Feel free to link to me! I'm going to add you now.

EJ

MamaMaven said...

Well handled with the boy, I hate these questions, your answer is better than mine!

Unknown said...

Declan is well acquainted with my period already actually. It's not like we hang out in the bathroom or anything - he's just like a freaking bloodhound. Good explanation though.

Oh, and Declan does the "nice" thing while playing Trouble all the time and does not bonk me out. I'm like, dude - you are SUPPOSED to bonk me out! ;)