Thursday, September 6, 2007

Then and Now

He bought her an iPod, and plans to spend the time between now and Christmas loading her favorite songs onto it.
An iPod.
She's not yet seven. Why did we buy her an iPod? Is she growing up too fast? Are we making a critical parenting mistake? Or maybe...am I overthinking this?

Then - I listened to cassette tapes in my SONY Walkman - the kind with giant headphones. Tiffany, Madonna and Debbie Gibson.
Now - She will listen to digital music from an iPod. Hannah Montana, some country crossover music and the High School Musical soundtracks.

Then - I carefully tightrolled by jeans and tucked them into two pairs of brightly-colored slouch socks. I pulled my oversize tee through a cinch clip, pouffed my bangs, and headed to school.
Now - She meticulously layers several tee shirts over eachother and adjusts them "just so", slips her feet into Crocs, pulls a tendril out of her ponytail to hang in her face, and heads to school.

Then - I was amused daily by shows such as Webster, Growing Pains and the Cosby Show. Watching TV was not the "hot topic" is has become today.
Now - She watches Zack & Cody, Hannah Montana and Cory in the House. I don't think her brain is warping from it.

Maybe it's not so different after all...
I think I'm going to buy myself an iPod, too.

2 comments:

joansy said...

Definitely get yourself an iPod. The new line that they announced yesterday looks great.

TxGambit said...

I want one too!

I was thinking the same things you were. Are they too young for these things? But then if we break it down, we were using the same types of things.....