Monday, July 9, 2007

Mommy Unplugged

The best part of the last month was our mid-June trip to Gatlinburg, TN.

There are still places in this country - Gatlinburg is one - where land lines and dial-up internet access are the norm. We stayed in a cabin a few thousand feet up a mountain that neither AT&T (my phone) nor NEXTEL (hubby's phone) had violated with a cell tower. The land line was there in case of 9-1-1 emergency, but we were otherwise cut off from the rest of the world.

No internet for NINE DAYS.

We explored the forests, streams and waterfalls.

We hiked.

We made S'Mores in the fireplace and licked the sticky marshmallows off our fingers.

We relaxed.

We enjoyed being a family.

Our 4-year-old summed it up nicely: "That was some good nature, Mom!"

Some of the nature:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We tested out the local tourist-trap market as well - Dollywood was amazing, the Dixie Stampede dinner show was not. Ober Gatlinburg was loads of fun, the $40 chair lift ride to the top of the mountain wasn't worth it (except for the view).

And on our last day, we saw a bear!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Kinda hard to see, but that's two crazy people really close to the baby bear. We never did see the momma...

And we added to our trendy car decal collection. Our first destination decal - GSM for Great Smoky Mountains - is proudly displayed on the side window of the Suburban.

I wonder what's next?

Life is good.

(Maybe I should buy that sticker, too??)

2 comments:

MamaMaven said...

I agree on the Life is Good sticker! Also, I'm tagging you cause Jenni tagged me, share 7 random things about yourself!

Mayberrys said...

Seven things??? I need more coffee first, LOL.

1) I am extremely frustrated with my body right now. I need to lose at least 10 pounds - preferably 20 - and exercise more. I just feel unhealthy.

2) I purchased a ton of scrapbooking stuff from Creative Memories a few YEARS ago and haven't touched it since. I really wish I had time to devote to this hobby...

3) I was born in NY and the three things I miss most about that place are bagels, pizza and Chinese food.

4) I am seriously thinking about going back to school to get my MBA.

5) After much waffling, I feel more and more like our family is complete with the 3 kids we have.

6) My favorite place in the world is on the beach. I feel very close to God there.

7) I struggle constantly with striking a balance between work, personal, family and husband time.