Sunday, April 8, 2007

Bunny Disaster

It's been a truly exhausting week. Hubby is laid up in bed post-surgery, and I am struggling to keep up with the house and the kids and him, and occasionally find time to shower and brush my teeth.
Seriously!
The sleep deprivation finally took over. I passed out with the last-to-fall kid last night, around 8:30.
And as they all started to stir around 6 AM, I realized the Easter Bunny hadn't yet arrived.
EEGADS!
Hubby is always the bunny!! How could I fall asleep and TOTALLY FORGET????!!!!
Quick fix was a movie in bed with Dad for all three kiddos, while I "got the medicine" for my eldest's snuffy nose.
The baskets weren't in the closet where I left them last year!! (Thanks honey - great job cleaning!) A whirlwind search of the house, and I found two in the attic.
Three kids.
Not perfect, but do-able.
Three dozen plastic eggs rapidly stuffed with Sweet Tarts and quarters, placed into one basket.
Three chocolate bunnies and some other candy lined up in the other basket.
Baskets hidden in bathtub.
Dimetapp for eldest.
Then they asked about the Easter Bunny. "Can we go hunt for our baskets?"
Whew!
After a short search, the baskets were found. Both of them. "Let's keep looking for the third one!"
Gulp.
"Guys, it looks like this is it. There are three of everything right here in this one..."
"But last year the Easter Bunny left us three. The year before, too."
Three sad faces.
My mommy-brain whirled. What to do?
Solution - a quick distraction to the candy. There's nothing like raw sugar at 6 AM to make them happy.
But then....
"None of these eggs have beans in them. They just have the spicy candy. Why aren't there any beans?"
A pile of rejected "spicy" (translation - tangy) Sweet Tarts lay in front of them.
Strike two against me - I didn't buy jelly beans. Crap, crap, crap!
Like I said, Hubby is always the bunny!!!
My mommy-brain whirled again.
Solution - a note from the Easter Bunny with a ten-dollar bill. The note said he ran out of baskets and jelly beans, but left us money to buy them at the store.
I feel absolutely terrible.
I suck!

3 comments:

TxGambit said...

Aaahh! I'm sure they won't care!! I mean they might have been disappointed for a minute but someday you can share your side of the story and they will laugh about it all with you.

Good times, good times. My older two know its me so now they just say "Thank you, Easter Bunny" and look at me! It used to be they would look outside.

MamaMaven said...

Quick thinking! Hope everyone is on the mend.

Mrs. Wheezer said...

Way to think on your feet! These things happen.